Wednesday, June 20, 2018

grumpy old man interlude

Ah the joys or parenting when you're a #grumpyoldman. All's fair day today means Sal gets freedom and I take on parenting duties. Now, I'm not sure if I'm a good or bad parent, really I'm not. I tend to explain - in probably too much detail - all the decisions I make. I also have a pretty good track record of answering all questions the kids ask, refusing only when I know they know the answer or when I can tell them what to do to find the answer for themselves.

The upshot of this is that I have two pretty well rounded, outgoing, confident little ladies who are not afraid to ask questions and offer their opinions. Which is great. Unless you're their dad and you're right about something. They have not yet worked out that correcting people or offering another point of view (their's) does not need to be the default position. Sometimes you just need to understand that dad might be talking sense when he says don't wear those shoes, take a jumper, try to go to the toilet before we leave, make sure you drink enough water...

So the problem I have...I answer, I explain..and if I get nowhere I let them make their own decisions, even when they are wrong. Setting them up for fail? I don't think so. I do (what I believe is) my best to let them make the right decision. Then allow them to make the wrong one. Then have a mini-retrospective when the wheels inevitable fall off.

Like they have this morning.


  • Don't wear your crocs if they hurt your feel, we'll be doing some walking. 
    • Puts on crocs.
  • Wear your Keens, they will be better if you have a blister on your toe.
    • Keeps crocs on.
  • Taxi to breakfast and then a relatively short bimble around
    • My feet hurt (well no shit sherlock...inner monologue)
  • Try to walk properly
    • I can't walk (quite a drama)
  • Let's walk back the shops up here; if I buy you some shoes then do you think you'll be able to walk? (repeat a few times)
    • No, oh the agony, you go on without me (limping as if has trod on an IED)
  • A bit too much explaining of the situation
    • Will you be able to walk today? In different shoes?
    • No, we need to get a taxi home
  • Get in taxi
    • (almost home) if you buy me shoes then I should be able to walk
  • too late little lady, too late...inner monologue (words broadly similar though.)
  • We need to make sure your blisters get better so you can have a nice day with mum tomorrow
    • I'll just go in the pool then
  • No you won't, you need to keep your feet clean and dry (repeat)
    • Oh but but but, so unfair etc.
  • (internet search) What does that say?
    • Keep your feet clean and dry
    • (sullen)
So here we are back at the villa and I'm letting the kids sort out what they can do. Funny thing...AJ tells me today has been her best day so far because she hasn't got in trouble. Ah, the joys of parenting.

Anyway, before this happened we had breakfast at Revolver. Here are some pictures from this morning and maybe I should take this opportunity to blog about Monday.




No comments: