Saturday, October 14, 2006

familair rocks and a flooded head

And today I started with something nice and dropped Mara's car - a Hyundai Excel, or "the hundy" off at the local garage for it's pink slip inspection. Kinda like the UK MOT where they make sure it brakes and indicates and turns and bounces like it should. Car dropped off it was once again off to the pool, this time on the incoming tide.

I got there at around 09:15 and in anticipation of the 33 degrees to come and as it is school holidays it was already getting crowded. Meaning there were a few people there. Not crowded like Brighton on a hot summer day. So I decided against plan A which was to enter the pool from the beach, swim out and back, get out and jog to the back of the beach and then back to the water and repeat until knackered. Next week I'll try go early and do that. Instead I went to the ocean end, slipped in and started swimming. The swim was odd but enjoyable. With the incoming tide I was variously pushed into the pool and stopped; when stopped I could see the rocks beneath me and knew I was getting nowhere. So I'd relax, keep swimming nowhere and wait un til the ocean decided I could proceed. Weird. Water seemed a bit warmer though; maybe it is warmer on a rising than a dropping tide? Dunno.

After the swim I made my way home via a cafe (surprise surprise) where I had a go at Herald's quick crossword that on ocassion I can complete. Not today as my knowledge of defeated Trojan's failed me. Embarrasing moment of the day came as I paid and the part of the pacific that I had been keeping in my sinuses and whatever other cranial cavities I flood when swimming decided to run out. Like a bloody tap. It always happens when I swim in the ocean or sea. I flood my head, though with no ill effect, and then later when I glance down or sideways or someways the taps come on and the water runs out. Medical curiosity or not? I have not heard of anyone else "suffering" that but I know some freedivers flood their sinuses on purpose. Again, weird.

More physio at Align had me grimacing through left ITB and calf manipulation and the discovery of another tight bit in a deep calf muscle. More exercises to do but after that it was coffee and moving as little as possible as the early afternoon heat was cranked. Following the lamington of Thursday the lunch of choice today was chicken roll. Very Australian says Sal, who was working from home and came out to buy lunch. Basically a big bread roll, chicken from a BBQ chicken and gravy. Bloody tasty. Sal went all out for Aus and washed it down with 45g of sugar delivered in a Bundaberg Ginger beer. Mmmmm.

The later part of the afternoon was spent looking through real estate ads and deciding which houses we liked most but just can't afford. Ah well. But what is it with "lifestyle shot"? If I want to buy a house in Clovelly, which I do, I'd like to see a picture of the kitchen maybe and not the pool which is 200yds away. The picture was off 4 lasses in bikinis though. Which was nice enough.

No comments: