Wednesday, November 08, 2006

a day searching for a highlight

With quite a dull job, at the moment, and with my cycling too and from work I am having a struggle with trying to find anything of much interest to put down today. A walk through of how mainframe applications work was not a highlight. Vaguely entertaining, in the same way that going to a museum of something you have only a passing interest in can be entertaining. Bananas costing $2 each, another not a highlight. Sal had a shocker of a day and I had to do the good husband bit of with plenty of empathy and kind words. I think I pulled that off. The new car needs a couple of tyres and a decent service but has its pink slip and is therefore roadworthy. Our final bag of stuff from the UK arrived today. An ordinary day.

The highlight, if I had to pick one, was spotting a different parrot on my run (31min 30sec, not a bad time) around the park. I think it was an eastern rosella but with my recent betting history in mind I'd not put a lot of money on that. Larger than a lorikeet and more colourful too. So I am going with rosella. Plenty of other usual suspect birds and of course the locals taking part in sport. Touch football (touch footie) seems to be the go on Wednesday and I counted 13 games in progress in Queens Park alone. Sunday it was cricket all the way, not surprising in general and even less so now the English are here and the Ashes series is a mere 15 days away.

Final thought for the day and one I'm sure I've covered before, is that I am surprised that the Channel 10 TV show Thank God You're Here seems to be Aussie and Aussie alone - at the moment. An improv show based upon celebs - typically comedians, comedy actors and the like - put in some get up and wandering through a door into a scene that starts with the scene stooges saying "thank God you're here" and then having the story unfold and seeing what the guests make of it. Tonight the skits were based upon This is Your Life, a camper apparently lost in the woods and facing his rescuers, an old time sailor (all silly hat and coat tails) and an 85 year old visiting his family for his birthday. All very funny and you can watch some on their website. Expect the format to be exported soon.

No comments: