Saturday, December 02, 2006

Saturday stuff and apostrophe's

Good work from the folks that put the messages on the display boards approaching the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Tunnel. Apparently there were

Changed conditions booth 8 at toll plaza's

Or something along those lines. Good effort. Nice and public that one. I gave Sal a fright as she drove under it and I gave an outraged howl. We were off to the Central Coast to see the in-laws and prepare some of our stuff, at their house, that we own, for next week's move to our (new) house, that we (will) own, and live in. Is the apostrophe in next week's OK? We left Randwick at 11:00, apparently mid-morning. Time of departure had been discussed on Friday. Mid-morning was proposed and I sought clarification. If I get up at 6, and morning runs until 12 then midmorning is 9. Too early! OK, what time are we leaving? 11. So morning starts at 10? Sometimes I am too literal.

Anyway I'd been up since 7 because I wanted to head out for my weekly long run. I was hoping for 90minutes and that is what I did. 92 actually. Damn near killed me. I ran from Randwick to Double Bay and that involved a hill climb. Then I headed out to Vaucluse and that is up what is known as Heartbreak Hill, part of the annual City to Surf run. From the top of the hill I headed south, folowing the signposts to Bondi Junction. That took me, for a while, downhill along Old South Head Road before once again I was heading up hill. I did stop in Belleview Hill for about 30 seconds, that being the time it took me to see on the poster at a bus stop that I was close to Bondi Junction. Still not sure exactly how all the suburbs relate to each oher over in the East. So I started running again, and rounded a corner to see the Westfiled shopping centre up ahead. It reminded me of a bit in The Killing Fields when the main character crests a ridge to see the red cross tents and he knows he has made it out alive. Yes, I was sure glad to see that shopping centre and know I was home. Nearly.

Quick diversion to last night on tele (warning! spoiler behind the link) and the final installment of Prime Suspect - The Final Act. I love CSI and CSI MIami, all three flavours of Law and Order but Helen Mirren is a class aprt in Prime SUspect. Not that I've watched a lot of them. In fact, I've only watched this final episode. The main thing I love about it is the overwhelming feeling of normality and grimness. None of the stylised US glam stuff, great though that is in it's niche. Believable characters, sets, plots, pace. The Brits can beat all comers in gritty drama. When they try.

Got home to a concerned Sal who was not looking too pleased with me, or rather the thought of me doing my long runs in my current state. Whatever that is. My current state upon getting homw was bollocksed. I get it though, the thought did try to cross my mind that I could keel over on one of those hills. But that thought is only as valid as any other fantasy I could come up with. I already cannot dive and I am choosing not to drive. That is enough things to give up for now. Until I'm told I have to give something up I won't. I am, obviously, hoping to be told there is nothing wrong and I should stop being such a woos-bag.

Then it was out and up the coast, via the apostrophe that should not be. We arrived to be greeted by Mike, Maureen, and Oscar the labradoodle and that reminds me of something from yesterday. As I wandered to the Chad's car from the cafe I spotted a young boxer tied to a lamp post out front of a suprmarket. Cute fella, I decided to give his head a scratch. As I did he sort of put his head down and he moved very little. Normally a dog will repond better than that to a head scratch, and with boxers I expect to end up covered in over-bite slobber. This one was very timid. Hope his owner is good to him and he was simply having an off day.

Collingwood has just knocked up his double-ton in the test and that is fantastic news. Hoping Pieterson can get his double too. Interesting match this one, looks like a draw at the moment. Let's see how the wicket cuts up and what our bowlers can do. Pieterson run out for 158. Ah well.

No comments: