Tuesday, September 04, 2007

i hate it when I'm right

Fun and games at work. Rather than build a proper IT system we have been instructed to put a load of information into an Excel Spreadsheet and then throw it at a database. I explained how this would lead to problems; you can type pretty well anything into Excel whereas a database will insist, for example, that you put numbers where numbers belong. No, I was assured, people will be told what they can and cannot do and they will be careful. No, said I, people are idiots and need to be protected from themselves by smart IT people. I was shouted down by the lunatics running my current asylum, the most important factor being doing this quickly and not doing it right. They (they being marketing) would have their spreadsheet and we (we being IT) would have to deal with it.

Day one. Two hundred and eighty three rows in the spreadsheet added with an 'EndDate' of September 31st 2007. TAXI!

No comments: