Thursday, January 01, 2015

Sweaty New Year

The thing that gets me every year is that I do know better. Beyond the Black Stump, going out at 7am on New Year's Day, is becoming my sort-of-traditional start to the running year. Sort-of because I've only done it 4 times when you include today. It's a challenging run; very up-and-down and each time I've done it the weather has been still, clear and hot. It also marks the start of my Six Foot Track training, so I really shouldn't bitch too much about the hills.

And I didn't do too much bitching today. The first section to the ferry was pleasant and convinced me that I'd made the right decision to run. I came very close to wimping out after battling a cold. But thanks to Lemsip Max and a booze-free New Year's Eve I felt around 80% and that's good enough. The run out to the ruined castle of calabash (little more than a couple of sandstone walls, but I like the grand name) was OK, the run back was not too bad.  But the climb up from Berowra Waters was a slog. Hot and bloody steep. I did struggle. I churned out the last couple of kilometres on the road to finish in about 3:12, which is OK. And 32km on the board on Jan 1st is OK.

Of interest to runners (maybe) and too-much-info for most (probably) is that I didn't take a pee for 8hours after the run (11hrs all up), despite having several litres of fluids (approx. 50/50 beer and water; alternating, not mixed, and water probably edged it.) I told you it was hot.

Just a short entry today. Good to see my neglected blog still exists, even if this post is a little meh. Now I have to see if my legs forgive me for today, my wife will forgive me for previous years (and lift my -athon ban) and if I think I can do the 31-day streak of Janathon.

January Total 32.3km

No comments: