Sunday, May 20, 2018

Sydney Half (IFH Pyrmont)

OK, I'm starting on familiar ground wiht a race report of today's Sydney Half Marathon.

This was a bit of a barometer run for me. Since dipping under 3hrs for the marathon in Canberra I have had an itch that needs scratching. If I can dip under 3hrs again it wasn't a fluke and I'm a 3hr marathoner.

The trouble is I did my sub-3 in 2013. And I'm now 5yrs older and have had a bit of an achilles issue in the interim. So it feels a tad optimistic, but my achilles is now good and I'm running pretty well. So maybe, just maybe...

I'm not sure where or when I read that your projected marathon time is double our half plus ten, but that is what I tend to believe. So today was simple. If I can hit 1:25 then a sub-3 on the Gold Coast is realistic.

I felt good at the start, but after sticking with the 1:25 pacer for 8km I wobbled. The IFH in the post title? I FUCKING HATE PYRMONT. The Sydney Half is a shitty run for PBing. My spirit took a knock at 8km, I reied to keep my pace up but went through 10k at 40:01 and felt it all slipping away.

I did recover somewhat as I got back towards the city. But the hills at the end hurt me and I ended up coming home in just under 1:28. So a projected 3:06 for my full. Game over, I'll run the Goldie for fun.

Only it isn't quite that simple.

Six of my kilometres today were outside of 3hr pace.  Most were well inside it. This course is a mutha of a thing. The goldie is dead flat and straight up and down. So right now, four beers and a gin to the good I'm thinking I'd be daft to not have a crack at sub-3. Get onto the 3hr pacer and just hold that pace for as long as I can can.


I reckon I'm still in with a shout. You've gotta be in it to win it.

So what else from today?


  • got chatting with a lass at the bus stop at silly o clock (05:24 bus to the city is just cruel and unnecessary) and she recognised me as the guy who used to turn up the bakery each morning with a kid in a backpack. Yep, sounds like me...circa 5 years ago
  • waiting in the start pen at the beginning of the race a guy turned and said hello, offered a hand to shake and clearly recognised me. I didn't recognise him...but I had offered him employment in my development team earlier in the week. He looked a little different in his running gear, I guess my silly goatie gave me away.
  • caught up wiht JCJ on the way home and - no surprise - he told me is is off back to the UK after over 30years in Aus. It's sad for those of us who know and love him, but it is the best thing for him and looking back on our brunch I was extremely positive about this - genuinely positive too.
  • with a bit of luck JCJ and I will grab our wetties and fins and for a splash at the Bower next weekend.
  • another day has passed without me shouting at the kids. That's progress.
  • called Mr. DJ, who I have not spoken to for waaaaay too long. Good to hear his voice, and maybe, just maybe he and I will start diving again.
  • a couple of my strava buddies, guys I ran Beyond the Black Stump with a few years back, did UTA100 today. So my bitching seems all a bit soft.
  • I've had a good day. Sal said she likes the new me. This is THE ONLY THING that really matters from this post.

On kid stuff...I continue their musical education. This weekend it has included Howling Wolf, Bob Marley, Public Enemy, Afrika Bambaataa and all sorts of really great stuff. Tonight we were choosing songs based on the awesomeness of the band name and I am sooooo glad to report that AJ won tonight when she suggested King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard.

No comments: