Wednesday, October 11, 2006

jobs like buses

Today I have mostly been answering the phone. In fact there it goes again and this time I accepted the job, a six month contract with Westpac bank doing the SQL Server DBA stuff I've been doing for years and I hope I remember. To be confirmed but I should be starting next Wednesday. Hold on, need to make another call to let another mob know I am off of the market. Just like I did earlier when, according to yet another agent, EDS were ready to take-you-for-a-coffee-first-intervew-second-interview-and-offer-on great-money. Wow. It's amazing how popular I am with people who stand to make money out of me and I dare say now unpopular I am with those who will not be doing just that.

Oh, I have decided to selectively start putting commas back into sentances instead of sticking to the long unpunctuated ones I have been experimenting with for the past week or so for no reason that springs to mind. I will, naturally, keep the typos and evidence of my inate inability to spell.

So next week I should be back in the workforce but not back in a collar and tie and small things like that carry a lot of weight. Probably could have used a comma in that last sentance. Does it bother me that the role is more tec than career? Not really; money is good and if a career springs from it, which can happen in big companies, then great and if it doesn't...did I say the money is good? Sally has already said that this weekend we go look at houses. The money is not, however, that good.


The rest of today has been another lesson in the mundane. Walk to Bondi Junction to renew my driving licence that was about to run out. This one, a gold one, will do me for 5 years and has an absolutely fantastic picture of me upon it looking every inch the not-yet-retired criminal.

Then it was off to Align physio to see if we could get to the bottom of my kneesd and ITBs and we sort of did but added the possibility of an athritic ankle. Joy. I must be getting old. The ITB (left) had a bit of deep tissue massage and my feet and ankles had a working over and I have a couple of new exercises, the clam and another the name of which I do not recall but is to strengthen hamstrings and is a right bastard to do. So it must be good. What with the physio and the driving licence I had managed to get through $200 so figured the afternoon's entertainment needed to be free and I made my way to Clovelly Pool to see what it is like at lowish tide.

And the answer is bloody fantastic. Flat apart from the odd wave crashing over the bar and clear as a not crystal clear but still can see the bottom all over thing. Blue Grouper and sundry other fish were there to keep me and the other swimmers company although all of the other swimmers were more there for the fun than the exercise and I kicked myself for not taking fins mask and snorkel but just goggles. Still had a great time and did a few shortened lengths before hopping out to drip dry in the sun and get back to answering the bloody phone.

Which reminds me. On tuesday I called the physio to confirm that my appointment was on Wednesday as I thought and not Tuesday as Sally thought. Yes, it was Wednesday and they were going to call me anyway as they did not have a conatct number. I kid you not. Sadly I was off of the phone before I became stunned and missed a golden opportunity to be a right smart arse. Shame.

On the social scene - which for me reads diving - I have made attempts to get back into "it". This Sunday I should be going for a dip with JCJ, maybe via Balmoral where we may see an injured and now I hope recovered seahorse returned to the wild. I think I heard that right. And then next Sunday DJ should have an opportunity to tell Vince (aka The Chad) and me all about how he is going to buy a rebreather. Of course he will have to sell it again to fund the settlement in the divorce that will follow his buying it, but dive chats are like pub chats and we will plan in meticulous detail precisely what will never happen. And we'll love it. And with these dives being on Sundays I get to play beach volleyball on the Saturdays with the ladies.

To finish on a nerdy note we are no nearer having a real home phone so a Skype In number ahoy in both the UK and here in Aus. And tonight I will be watching Australia vs Bahrain on this PC via a USB TV tuner as I get fantastic recpetion on SBS unlike the television which is bloody awful on that channel, dropping out and all sorts of nonesense. Sometimes technology rules.

No comments: