Tuesday, October 10, 2006

mad weather and general dullness


So at 11:30am on Sunday it was 30 degrees and at 12:15 it was 25 and then by 5pm it was 17.8. And blowing a gale. Madness. My watch, that I don't trust to give me accurate temperatures but I kinda trust to be consistent with itself said the water temp on Saturday was 20.4 and today it read 16.4 degrees. I made 7mins down the shallow, flatter end before heading to the usual cafe for the usual breakfast in an attempt to steer clear of Sally who was working from home. Seven minutes is quite pathetic and out of guilt I ran a lap of Centennial Park.

On my trip I ran into - almost lierally - a well-hard cockatoo. I was running on a path between a fence and a steep slope that was no more than two feet wide. Cocky is ahead of me on the path. I slow and it looks at me. I slow some more it keeps looking at me. I walk right up to it and it looks at me and raises the crest on it's head but show little to no interest in flying away. Fair enough. I walked past and it went about it's business and that was that. The park is full of bird life from ibis to pelicans to kookaburras (largest of the kingfishers) and all sorts of other cool stuff. I could end up as a twitcher. Bill Oddie watch out.

I've had two interviews in two days both for SQL Server DBA contracts and both went well as far as I am concerned. Yesterday I was - later - surprised to recall that the interview had consisted of very few technical questions. 80minutes with the MIS Manager and CIO but mostly big picture stuff and nothing to really see if I was technically any good. Weird. Maybe they just knew I was not full of BS or maybe after 4mins they'd decided I was a no and just wanted a chat. We shall see. Today was somewhat different as two tecs turned up with a list of questions that I pretty well nailed and walked away with a spring in my step somewhat reassured that I do know as much as I think I do. Or maybe I was lucky with the questions.

Daily fitness news. Went for a quick run yesterday as the light was fading. Not a problem for some folks who take their own bloody portable floodlights out so they exercise in the park after dark. Seven year olds who know and call for knock-ons when playing on the beach and now this. Is it any wonder the natives are a bit good at sport.

General observations of the day. Number one. Aussie Stadium has some of the strictest no-smoking regulations I have seen.

"Smoking is prohibited in all smoking areas, bars and restaurants in Aussie Stadium."

Number two. Aren't tits used to sell lots of stuff? Kitkat has some new chocs. How do well sell them? I know, tits. I have a new mission and that is to look for the most unlikely and disconnected use of tits to sell something. Man gotta have a hobby.

No comments: