Sunday, October 22, 2006

sunday lazy sunday

The forecast was for chilly stiff southerly winds so a swim was always going to be a maybe maybe not and it was a not. I rolled down the hill on the single speed bike to see a lumpy deep end and a shallow end being set up for a kids life-saving comp of something similar so I thought better of it and headed back home. Mistake number 1. Clovelly pool is at the bottom of a big hill that really, REALLY needs a few gears to change down through. So I got home with legs burning to Sally telling me to shake a leg so we could head over to Willoughby to get a feel for the area.

A couple of buses and we're there and on the hunt for a cafe - and it really does read like a dull start to a slow day - and we found Chiquita that opens at 07:00 every day of the week and that is a big tick in a box. So we wandered around a bit and then called JCJ and Susan and arranged to meet up with them for a spot of lunch. Sundays are for eating. This whole weekend has been. JCJ is a good man and he and Susan came and collected us from Naremburn where we had wandered to and drove us all to Wharfy's at Mosman Wharf.

It was the first time since our return to Aus that Sally and I had caught up with Susan so we had plenty to chat about, though JCJ and I, as ever, just gently took the piss out of each other. The ladies had a glass of wine and we decided to walk of lunch with a stroll around Cremorne Point. Still very nice; we saw plenty of lorikeets, cormorants sunning themselves, a kookaburra and a few small pufferfish in the shallows. There is a lovely "secret garden" I did not know existed and we gawped at the stupid expensive houses and boats. But there are a lot of dead trees now and I am putting that down to the drought taking it's toll. A shame, but nature is nature, so there.

Most amusing part of the afternoon came when we saw a "wild" (escaped) rabbit down by the car park at Mosman Wharf. You'll not get naywhere near him says JCJ who is usually very knowledgable with all things nature. He knows latin names for shit 'n all. So first Sally and then I approached and damn near picked the bloody thing up. JCJ, not to be outdone and, by his standards very slightly indignant, approached said bunny. Damn thing shot away from him double quick. Dr. Doolittle he is not.

JCJ and Susan dropped us back home at about 5 and I took the opportunity to do my outer lap of the park and a few stretches before the light faded and that is about it for a lazy sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad the weather is chilly, matches what we have in downtown Surrey. I never knew you were such an ornithologist. I have been inspired by your excellent Blog to start my own, will send you details once it is up and running

SimonW