Wednesday, January 11, 2012

eating a boat anchor

Day eleven heralds the arrive of the niggles. Hoping it is just a bit of beatable mental fatigue brought on by too little sleep and...you know the story by now. Last night I was up until 11pm working, and although Sal went on "Harrie nightshift" I still had a fairly ordinary quantity and quality of sleep. Add to that the 3 beers I had with my brother on his last night in Australia for a while. I guess I need to HTFU.

The niggles are really rather minor, and in no particular order are:

  • Right little toe, rubbed a bit on the top. Big deal.
  • Left little toe pad. The planter wart has scaled up a bit and is starting to press. Ignorable once I get going, but a blister danger. I've altered my gait to accommodate a blister in the past and that led to all sorts of strife. One to watch.
  • Right knee a bit tight and clicky. I'm generally tightened up and the knee is where this presents most obviously back pulls hips pulls OTB pulls knee. If I don't get silly It'll be OK. Early night tonight, feet up, relax. I hope.
  • Sneezing a bit - a cold on the way? I'm hoping it's mild hayfever because the wind has changed and blown stuff in. The continued exercise is bound to supress my immune system a bit and I'm probably vulnerable to bugs. But on the plus side, it is summer and I am not using public transport, so again, I should be OK.
Look, I'm struggling for stuff to write, sorry for the mundane stuff. I ran to work today. Let's hope something more interesting - but not too interesting – happens on the way home. With that, I'm off to run home.


Today Gary put some great advice on hydration in his blog. In that same spirit I would like to add some words on nutrition. If you're going to run home from work in the afternoon you should avoid having a foot long tuna sub at lunchtime. OK, so this advice is not quite in the same league as Gary's, but hey, I'm trying.


I felt as if I'd eaten a boat anchor as I trudged home. It seemed to be leeching from my stomach into my legs and they felt as if they were slowly turning to lead. I was farting like a trooper, and as I became more fixated on just how bloated and bleugh I was feeling I started to feel physically sick. But hey, it did take my mind off all the other niggles, so that's a good thing. By 8km I was still farting but feeling somewhat more human and I was a little surprised to find that my total running time for the day was 2:03, splitting Monday's 2:04 and yesterday's 2:02.


The things of note on the way home - damn windy. I was fortunate to find myself sheltered most of the way but when I was not sheltered I was being blown all over the place. Proper windy. And at the Spit I stopped to take a picture of two of the resident pelicans. That's how I roll.


Another ones bites the dust. A little over 23km and a little over 2hrs, just to mix things up not at all.


Tomorrow, for a change, I'll try and lighten things up a bit in the blog. Really, I will try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see the acronym of TTFU (or HTFU) is used in the Southern Hemisphere. Great running out front. I'm not surpirsed the niggles have started to creep in with the incredible mileage you're racking up. Good advice regarding tuna subs (he says chowing down a large bagel). Whilst not as scientific as local adventures, we all know where you are coming from.