Tuesday, January 27, 2015

hurrah for rain!

The temperature has not got above 20 degrees all day and there has been either rain or drizzle for most of the day. Halle-fucking-lujah! At long last!

Back at work after my Friday and Australia Day Monday off. I've been pretty much sticking to the script so didn't do anything silly over the long weekend. And the same goes for today. It was a slow and steady trot to work that I did in I'm not sure what. Slow though. I was soaked, as usual, but at least half of it was rain water and when I got out of the shower I didn't start sweating.

The morning at work came and went, the highlight - by which I mean lowlight - being the message that I knew was coming, the one saying a colleague and good friend was leaving after 14years, the last 8 of which I've worked with him. I knew already, but I felt extra shitty when it was made official. I felt like I was clock watching, just waiting for middayish when I could go and knock out the rest of today's miles.

I enjoy running around Sydney in the summer when it's raining. Everyone clears out. You don't need to dodge tourists or lunching office workers. No one in Sydney has a wet weather plan, a plan B. Farm Cove was actually peaceful. 

The run had started with me standing like a goose in the rain waiting for the Garmin to pick up my satellites. My steam-powered Forerunner 305 is getting a little long in the tooth and I don't think it has that "remember where I was" thing that newer models do. The size of a laptop computer, it has a certain retro chic. It eventually locked on and I set off.

The domain was not entirely people free. There were a handful of runners, ranging from those who looked like the new year's resolution was becoming strained to Andrew Lee who is really quite good.
"Andrew Lee is one of the nations top ultra marathoner’s. His exploits include victories in the likes of The North Face 100 and 6FT Track as well as representing Australia at the World Mountain Running Champs."
I'm told I look a lot like him. Although I'm currently sporting a quite ridiculous moustache which he isn't; very few people can match the ridiculousness of my mo. I was off with the fairies at the time and didn't realise it was him until we'd passed each other, so missed out on the chance to have a chat. I should catch up with him at this year's Six Foot, by which I mean speak to him when I arrive at Jenolan Caves an hour or so after he does.

A little further around I started chatting to a runner named John. He's going straight from road marathons to The North Face 100. I think I'll top out at half of that. By the look and sound of him I reckon he'll go OK. He certainly dragged my pace up a bit.

And that was it. Another utterly predictable day on the road to bring up my 600km for the year.

Janathon total - 600km


No comments: