Friday, January 30, 2015

Seaforth Bakehouse

Today I ran to the Seaforth Bakehouse, a place that has featured in several of my previous Janathon posts, typically as the place I grab a morning coffee when walking the dog. It's 454m from my house. I know that because it was today's run. That run will probably be it for today. I'm still feeling like I've been hit by a train. Temperature is all over the place and I've got a horrible cough that feels like I'm being stabbed in the chest with a hot stick. In one of last night's coughing fits I thought I was going to puke. I think it's fair to say that I'm not well at the moment.

But I still have today and tomorrow to finish off the month and I need to do something. I dragged myself out of bed and went through the ritual of looking at the totals. I was 115km ahead of the closest runner, but I know he's capable of - and planning to - knock out back-to-back 20mile runs. Living in Sydney I concede 11hours to him. And the last day is a Saturday. So right now I am thinking I'll end up with second place. Which kinda sucks, but what can you do? Of course he may not have the same mindset as me, but if I was in his shoes I'd be feeling confident right now.

I pulled on a Helly thermal top and a wind jacket - a bit of an overkill for summer in Sydney - put on a hat and ran to the bakery. I wore my Vivobarefoot Achilles, shoes I almost never run in. I think I just wanted to be able to add something different to compensate for the frustration.

Ho-hum. Another day off work, another day of rest. Maybe I'll crack 500m tomorrow.

Janathon total - 633km

No comments: