Thursday, July 14, 2016

the problem with starting a journal or a diary or whatever you want to call it...

I was inspired to buy a semi-wanky (Moleskin) notebook in the wake of brother's visit - the globetrotting note taker that he is. I have in a very short time discovered an issue. Not entirely unpredictable, it seems that I currently do not a lot that it particularly noteworthy.

I should have spotted that a mile off. Darren is basically a travel blogger; I'm not. I would be if I traveled. But I don't. And as a resting runner, lapsed diver and happy-snapper-rather-than-thoughtful-photographer, as someone with a job that consumes a lot of time and is not (at least not now and maybe never) a job I spring from bed each morning excited to get stuck in to...I am basically plodding though life.

I could of course pen my thoughts on the Brexit or the Australian Federal election, the Euros or Wimbledon if I just wanted to fill space. I have opinions. Loads. But I had rather hoped to note down things that I'd seen or done and that were personal and interesting and I dunno, maybe the girls would want to read one day. Without forcing it.

Nah; hasn't happened yet.

Instead and in order to make sure I've written something each day, if only to get into the habit, I have penned little more than what I've eaten and the exercise I've done. And it isn't like I do or eat anything particularly exotic. A creature of habit I tend to do - at least on weekdays - the same things.

And so today - sigh - was a typical day.

I woke up early. I try to tune my bedtime and tiredness so that I get a decent chance of 6 or so hours sleep. I seem to be getting close, after a few weeks of getting my 6 hours every other night and waking up stressed on the others, struggling and often failing to get back to sleep. There is a whole other story about how anxious and stressed I am at and about work, but I'l stick to the mundane here. Despite being home alone - apart from the dog - I chose to sleep in Harrie's bottpm bunk. I've been sleeping pretty well there, so why change that? I hate the thought of interrupting Sal's sleep at night with my tossing and turning, and Harrie was a bit sick a while back, so I've had reason to slepe in wiht her, but last night it was my choice.

Awake just before 5, on my bike just after. I stopped at the beach to do my exercise set. Four of five days it is this

25 star jumps / 25 squats / 25 pushups / 15 burpees / 25 pushups / 25 squats / 25 star jumps

I do four of those with a 45 second rest in between. Then I have a 1minute rest and do a 5th set with 25 burpees. Another minute rest and a 6th and final set 15/15/15/10/15/15/15 as quick as I can. All others are done at a decent pace.

It feels like a decent workout, gets the heart racing, makes me sweat and is out of the way in 20min before I get to work. I think of it a a sort of HIIT and it is what I've been doing for a while - since I decided to rest my achilles rather than risk snapping it. Six months nearly.

On one of five days - that one being today - I do a different set.

100 star jumps / 100 pushups / 100 squats / 100 mountain climber / 100 lift knee run on the spot / 40 pull ups (grabbing the end of a bench with my hands, heels on the floor) / 40 burpees. Then I have a brief breather before a second round; half that size (50s and 20s.) Another decent set methinks, can leave me a bit dizzy as it is about 15 pretty much non-stop.

One day I'll start running again.

And so to work. This week has been 6am starts. We handle online school meal orders and I'm on active monitoring this week - which means watching to make sure shit does not go bad. Today was an OK day. I get stressed maybe 3 of the 5 days of the week. It is stressful - so that is just a thing - and as long as Kelly McGonigal is right it shouldn't kill me. Don't think stress is my friend yet though...



Then I rode back home again, not picking the girls up from vacation care because they have gone to visit the grandparents for a few days. So I took the dog for a walk instead.

If I were a betting man I'd put a few quid on tomorrow being remarkably similar to today.

Happy I've written something. Tick.


  • It was fucking cold this morning
  • It was a glorious winter day today - clear and crisp
  • I am not a fan of being home alone. It's OK, but an empty house sucks and even if I do just sit in front of the computer catching up on news it is nice to have people about in the evening.
  • Not seeing the kids in the morning is pretty sucky. I don't get to spend time wiht them in the morning because of my early starts, but I like to look in on them.
  • I have nothing planned for the weekend because that's how I roll.
  • I am toying wiht the idea of going for a dive (tanks free, with my camera) but am conflicted; that might mean shaving the stupid beard off so my mask doesn't leak. And although the beard is ridiculous I have become quite used to it.
  • Maybe this weekend I'll take the laptop to a cafe and write some posts about my job and my family? Maybe.



No comments: