Thursday, September 21, 2017

I...am...on...holiday

Been a while since I've posted - I kid myself that Instagram pictures speak a thousand words so there is no need to blog - but I reckon the opportunity to kill a few minutes while waiting for a plane presents an opportunity to dust off the cobwebs. Blogwebs?

So I am on holiday. Yep, you heard. Holiday. By myself. First trip flying solo since kids arrived. Almost; I did a work trip in 2010 when AJ was one, but other than that - Fiji with the family, nothing on my tod.

This holiday came about almost by accident. In my mind it went something like this: While wondering if I'd ever run another marathon - post blowing up my achilles (hyperbole!) and recovering but then putting in my slowest ever Six Foot Track time - I meandered to the Berlin Marathon website and spotted that it takes place when Australian schools are on holiday. My work is tied to school terms. This means it is a quiet time for me. So I put my name in the ballot. Assuming I'd not get a spot. I was probably a bit drunk.

So I got a spot in this year's Berlin Marathon. And as Berlin is reasonably close to London I decided to chuck a couple of weeks on the trip. So here I am. Checked in, plugged in and waiting for my first flight. Given that I tried to VPN into work before I started blogging, I don't think I am quite in holiday mode yet. But once I'm in the air there is no point in worrying about stuff.

I'll worry anyway; maybe more about that later.

So, a few idle musings.

It was only later that I thought a good thing to do when the kids are off school might be to spend time with the kids and not piss off by myself to run around Berlin then get drunk with my mates. #worldsbestdad.

As my ferry pulled away from the wharf, clear blue sky above and clear water below, 25 degrees - I could not help but think this felt a bit like a holiday. Drifting past the bridge and Opera House (with resident seal in residence) that thought was tough to shake. But I was wearing a hoodie, so I felt like a local (and a lot like a soft southern shite.)

too much plastic!
I had a Stabucks coffee which was as ordinary and inoffensive as I remember from when I last had one. I can't remember when I last had one, but I am sure it was ordinary and inoffensive. I think I was trying to convince myself I was on holiday. I subsequently beat myself up over the ridiculous amount of single use plastic I'd got for free with my single slice of toast. Grrr...

Check in was uneventful. Bit bored now.

The coming challenge is to remain awake for the duration of flight 1 (a bit over 8hours from 3pm, upstairs on an A380) so I can sleep overnight on my 12hours second leg. That one gets in at 7am-ish. If I can do the awake/sleep thing, the theory goes, I don't get jet lagged, disembark running on local time and have a cruisy 48hours to get over the flight before the race on Sunday. It is a beautiful plan.

OK, I'm rambling. Time to get some sounds on and chill.

No comments: