Monday, August 08, 2016

Diet and Exercise Support Crew - Day 1

In other news, before the main news, I bought a pretty little camera that seems to be in rather good condition. Apart from the shutter not firing as the aperture blades are likely to be stuck. Might have to get it fixed, shame to let it go. It is a Kodak Retinette 1a and was probably built between 1959 and 1961.



Sal has decided to do a 12 week diet and exercise thing. So I'm going to do my own version of the same thing; think of me as support crew, sharing the pain. She is doing it online - it is directed online, Facebook group thing - and that sounds tough, so I'll suffer a bit too. For me it boils down to eating far better - but extremely carb light, no booze, one milky coffee a day - and regular exercise. The exercise should not be a problem, the diet could be a challenge. I suspect I'll be heading a little off-piste on both with more and different exercise and bending the rules a bit on the diet. I mean no fruit or dairy (apart from that coffee) is a bit harsh.

So, ground zero. I've let myself go a bit and I weigh around 70kg. I could attribute some of the extra 3-4kg to non-running workouts adding some muscle, but I think it is mostly that my diet is a bit crap and I'm not running every day.

Not sure I'll be as diligent or detailed with the logging every day, but here goes.

Finished off a heap of chocolate and a large bag of chips yesterday evening. Had a few farewell beers too, so getting underway dusty and fuelled with self-loathing - go me!


Exercise.

Bike (commute)

To work via the gym. Not a great deal of exercise as it is only 4km and mostly downhill. The ride home is a 6km steady but not steep climb. Takes about 20minutes.

Gym.

Warmup: 10min rowing machine at level 6. Nine min at sub-2min/500m then the last min at sub 1:50
Free weights/cable machines: 35min. Middling-weights from 6-10kg. Mostly three sets of 15/12/8 reps of things with each set using the next weight up (15 with the 8kg dumbbell / 12 with the 9kg / 8 with the 10kg.) Then probably not enough stretching. Not going to go through my exercises in detail - I'm tired and want to go to bed - but I do stuff that has wide ranging movements; cable pulls wiht a lot of rotation through the shoulder, lifting weight form my left foot to extended above my right shoulder and so on. 

Food

Breakfast/Morning

1 x large full fat cappuccino
1 x apple
1 x carrot
1 x grapefruit

Lunch/Afternoon

Small cup almonds
Small cup walnuts
Small cup of trail mix with the fruit taken out; so more nuts and seeds
1 x green tea

Dinner

Medium sized piece of fish, broccoli and brown rice. A surplus-to-requirements-for-Sal fishcake.

Need to sort this diet thing out quick-smart and discover what treat foods I can have.

On the plus side, I weighted myself this evening and I'm 69kg.

I doubt I'll keep this logging thing up for very long.

No comments: